Learning Drupal – A beginners diary
Hey folks, I have just started working with drupal and here I want to share my experience how I’m learning it. Here, you are assumed you know PHP and you are experienced with web development. And I am considering the Drupal 7.2 Version here. Let’s start the journey.
Which is what -? In this section I want to introduce some drupal terms here. So let’s look out a short description for each of these.
• Nodes: In any website content is heart of website. In drupal, contents are called nodes. Nodes are the basic building blocks of drupal. By adding any item from /admin/content/add – a node is created. A node can be a posting, a page, poll, article, forum topic, or blog entry or a custom type defined by you which I am going discuss later.
• Content Types: I think it’s one of the most important parts of drupal. You can view the content types of from /admin/structure/types . By default drupal provides two types content and they are –
1. Article - Let’s have look on the fields by Choosing the Manage Field Tab - /admin/structure/types/manage/article/fields . It provides Title, Tags, Body and Image. You can also add new field here. Now have a look on the field attributes-
• Label – The field label
• Machine Name – The variable name that’s available on template file
• Field Type – The type of the field. Note, the Tag field type is Term references which will be discuss on Taxonomy Section.
• Widget – Define, how the value will be put for this field. There are many types widget available based on field Type. For example, if we select Field Type as term reference then on Widget dropdown – Auto-complete, Checkbox/radio button list, Select list, etc. types are available then.
You can manage how each field will be displayed from /admin/structure/types/manage/article/display. Let’s do it for Image type of field.
You will see such screen where you can define how the image will be shown. From Label Dropdown you can define how the Label will be displayed. From the Format dropdown you can choose whether Image will be hidden or shown as images.
Now let’s click Settings (Marked by the Arrow) icon.
You will see such available options there on Format Section. There four available option on Image Style dropdown – None (The original Image), Thumbnail, Medium and Large.
By selecting one of these, you can define in which the Image will be displayed.
Let’s have look on their exact size from - /admin/config/media/image-styles . You can edit them or you can add new one with New Name and Sizes defined by you.
Link Image To – dropdown provides three basic options and they are
1. Nothing – Image will not linkable
2. Content – Image will be linkable to content
3. File - Image will be linkable to the image file.
From Comments Field tab you can manage which field should available (by addind/editing/removing) when users commenting on this type of contents.
From Comments Display tab you can manage how the user comments will displayed on the content.
And Finally from Edit tab you can manage comment settings (whether the commenting should enabled or not for this type of content and many other), Display Settings (Whether the author and date will be shown or not), etc…
2. Basic page – After the above discussion, there’s nothing more to tell here except it has two fields- Title and Body.
Now, Imagine such a situation that you need to put some sort of contents on your site that have a variety of fields like title, description, author, publish date, expire date, external links and many other. You can handle this situation by adding new content type from /admin/structure/types/add. There you can add fields upon your need. Now, it’s time to move another section.
• Taxonomy: It’s one another powerful module of which normally used to make bridge to content to other contents or tagging contents by taxonomy terms. It provides a way to relate, connect, and classify the various types of contents. I am giving here an example to illustrate it detail. Suppose you have a custom type content, say My Resources which have Title, Description, Thumbnail, Publish date, Expire date, URL, Tagged As , etc. Now you need to show Three Related Contents links in each content page of this content type. How can you do that? There are many way you can achieve this further. For now, can you remember the field type of Tag on Article Type content? It was Term reference. This Term Values come from The Taxonomy Terms. You can add new Custom term by adding a vocabulary from /admin/structure/taxonomy/add or can select existing one, Then can add terms for that vocabulary as much as needed. Those terms will be available Tag field. You can select these terms from a dropdown or radio/checkbox list or auto-complete tagged style based on widget type. Thus your content can be related or classified. In one word I can say about it – “Taxonomy categorizes the overall content in your way”. That’s it. In next sections, I’ll discuss about Menus, Block, Views and Panel.